The underlying factors that contribute to hair loss are numerous. Age and elements of genetics can play a part in its development, but stress and dietary imbalances can also play an important part.
The immune system targets healthy hair follicles in alopecia areata, which results in variable degrees of hair loss.
In this autoimmune disorder, genetics and environmental factors both play a part; nonetheless, in its early stages, alopecia areata is connected with inflammation in the top dermis skin layer. This inflammation causes hair loss.
Garlic and onion juices applied topically may be beneficial. One study had 23 patients with alopecia areata apply onion juice to their scalps twice a day for a period of two months.
A control group consisting of fifteen individuals sprayed themselves with tap water for the same time period. It was revealed that there were significant changes, with onion juice contributing to the regrowth of hairs in as little as two weeks.
By the fourth week, 73.9% of those who used onion juice experienced hair re-growth, and by the sixth week, that number had climbed to 86.9%.
Significantly more males (93.7%) than women (71.4%) reported seeing hair regrowth. In comparison, only 13% of individuals who were given tap water experienced hair regrowth.
“The present study showed that the use of crude onion juice gave significantly higher results with regard to hair regrowth than did tap water, and that it can be an effective topical therapy for patchy alopecia areata,” the researchers concluded.
How to Make Onion Juice For Hair Growth
Onion juice is a popular home remedy believed to promote hair growth and improve hair health. It’s rich in sulfur, which can help improve blood circulation, reduce inflammation, and promote the production of collagen – all factors that contribute to healthy hair growth. Here’s how to make and use onion juice for hair growth:
- 1-2 large onions (red or white)
- A blender or grater
- A fine sieve or cheesecloth
- A small bowl
- A cotton ball or a small brush
- A mild shampoo
- Prepare the Onions:
- Peel the outer layers of the onions and rinse them thoroughly under running water to remove any dirt or residue.
- Chop the onions into small pieces for easier blending.
- Blend the Onions:
- Place the chopped onions into a blender and blend until you achieve a smooth, watery consistency. If you don’t have a blender, you can also use a grater to grate the onions and then squeeze the juice out using a cheesecloth.
- Extract the Juice:
- Pour the onion mixture into a fine sieve or cheesecloth placed over a small bowl.
- Squeeze the cheesecloth or press down on the mixture to extract as much juice as possible.
- Before applying onion juice to your scalp, do a patch test on a small area of your skin to check for any adverse reactions. Some people may experience irritation or allergies.
- If you don’t experience any adverse reactions, dip a cotton ball or use a small brush to apply the onion juice directly to your scalp.
- Ensure that you cover your entire scalp and gently massage it in for a few minutes to promote absorption.
- Wait and Rinse:
- Leave the onion juice on your scalp for 15-30 minutes. The longer you leave it, the better, but avoid leaving it on for too long, as the smell can be strong and unpleasant.
- After the waiting period, wash your hair thoroughly with a mild shampoo to remove the onion smell.
- Initially, you can apply onion juice to your scalp 1-2 times a week.
- Over time, you can adjust the frequency based on how your hair and scalp respond. Some people see results with regular use, while others may need more time.
- To minimize the smell of onion juice, you can use a scented conditioner or apple cider vinegar rinse after shampooing.
- Be patient. It may take several weeks to notice any visible improvements in hair growth and hair health.
Remember that onion juice is a natural remedy, and individual results may vary. If you experience any irritation or discomfort, discontinue use and consult a healthcare professional. Additionally, maintain a healthy diet and hair care routine for the best results in promoting hair growth and maintaining overall hair health.