Let’s face it; fashion trends are like a boomerang, always coming back around. The low rise trend had its heyday, and now it’s time to give a nod to the classics with a twist. If you’ve got a pair of low rise jeans gathering dust in your closet, don’t toss them aside just yet.
In this DIY journey, we’ll show you how to breathe new life into your denim collection by transforming those low rise darlings into the latest must-have – high waisted jeans!
Why Go High Waisted?
Before we dive into the creative process, let’s talk about the charm of high waisted jeans. These timeless bottoms have the power to elongate your legs, accentuate your waist, and exude a vintage-inspired allure. The high rise trend is back in full force, and it’s not just a style statement; it’s a flattering choice for all body types. So, why not repurpose your low rise jeans and ride the high waisted wave?
Tools and Materials
Before you embark on this denim adventure, gather the following tools and materials:
- Low rise jeans: Choose a pair that you’re ready to transform. Make sure the fit is snug around the hips and thighs.
- Seam ripper: Your trusty companion for deconstructing seams with precision.
- Scissors: A sharp pair for cutting fabric cleanly and accurately.
- Measuring tape: To ensure the new waistline is just where you want it.
- Chalk or fabric marker: For marking the areas you’ll be altering.
- Sewing machine or needle and thread: Depending on your sewing skills and preferences.
- Elastic band: Optional, for adding a stretchy waistband.
- Buttons, snaps, or hooks: Optional, for securing the new waistband.
- Iron: For a polished finish.
Let’s Get Started
- Choose Your Waistline: Lay your low rise jeans flat on a clean surface. Use the measuring tape to determine where you want the new high waistline to sit. Mark this point with chalk or a fabric marker on both the front and back of the jeans.
- Unravel the Seams: Time to break out the seam ripper again! Carefully remove the stitches from the existing waistband and the top portion of the side seams. Be patient to avoid damaging the fabric.
- Cutting Time: Once the old waistband is detached, grab your scissors and cut along the marked line. Remember, it’s better to cut a bit conservatively at first – you can always trim more if needed.
- Create a New Waistband: If you’re going for a simple high-waisted look, fold the cut edge down to create a clean waistband. Press it with an iron for a neat finish.
- Elastic Waistband Option: For added comfort and flexibility, sew an elastic band into the newly created waistband. Measure the elastic to fit snugly around your waist, sew the ends together, and then attach it to the inside of the waistband.
- Secure with Style: If you want a more polished look, consider adding buttons, snaps, or hooks to secure the new high waistband. This step not only adds functionality but also a touch of flair.
- Hemming (Optional): Depending on your preference, you can hem the bottom of the jeans to your desired length. A clean hem adds a polished finish to your DIY high waisted jeans.
- Rock Your Retro Revival: Congratulations! You’ve successfully transformed your low rise jeans into a pair of on-trend high waisted wonders. Now, it’s time to showcase your unique style and rock that retro vibe with confidence.
Tips and Tricks
- Measure Twice, Cut Once: Precision is key. Take your time when measuring and cutting to ensure the final result is exactly how you envision it.
- Experiment with Embellishments: Add a personal touch to your high waisted jeans with embellishments like patches, embroidery, or even fabric paint.
- Customize the Fit: Tailor the fit to your liking. If you want a snugger fit, take in the side seams. If you prefer a looser fit, leave some room.
- Mix and Match Styles: High waisted jeans look great with tucked-in blouses, crop tops, or even oversized sweaters. Experiment with different styles to find what suits you best.
How to easily transform the low waist jeans to the high one
Transforming your low rise jeans into high waisted beauties is a fun and creative way to refresh your wardrobe. Armed with a few basic tools, a pinch of patience, and a dash of imagination, you can turn a neglected pair of jeans into a fashion statement that’s uniquely yours.
So, grab those scissors, unleash your inner DIY guru, and embrace the retro vibe with your one-of-a-kind high waisted jeans. Fashion is about expressing yourself, and now you can do it with a touch of vintage flair!
Shop at www.pacsun.com