In this video, the speaker provides detailed instructions on how to clean a wool suit without resorting to dry cleaning.
Here are more specific details:
- Wool Suit Characteristics:
- The speaker emphasizes that most made-to-measure and custom-made suits are crafted from wool or wool blends.
- Wool fabric doesn’t respond well to dry cleaning, which leads to the exploration of alternative cleaning methods.
- Using a Clothes Brush:
- A clothes brush with both hard and soft sides is recommended. The hard side is used to brush with the nap of the cloth, removing dust, dirt, and dried mud.
- Regular brushing not only keeps the suit clean but also redistributes natural oils within the wool, enhancing the material’s longevity.
- Spray Bottle Method:
- A spray bottle filled with filtered water is suggested. This water is used to rehydrate and lift out dried stains that couldn’t be removed by brushing alone.
- The rehydration process helps to return the stain to its natural state, making it easier to lift out with a soft, clean, and preferably lint-free cloth.
- Mild Soap Technique:
- In case stains persist, a mild soap (similar to facial soap) is recommended. The cloth is dampened, and the soap helps break up oil-based stains into droplets, making it easier to lift them out.
- This method avoids harsh chemicals and industrial processes, providing a gentler yet effective cleaning solution.
- Avoiding Dry Cleaners (If Possible):
- The speaker advises viewers to consider dry cleaners as a last resort for custom-made suits. If using a dry cleaner is necessary, it’s suggested to opt for spot cleaning services or inform the cleaner about the wool material for a milder cleaning process.
- Steam Cleaning and Proper Storage:
- Steam cleaning is highlighted as a method to rehydrate dried sweat in the suit, allowing it to naturally evaporate. Various tools, including steamers, steam irons, and specialized garment steamers, can be used for this purpose.
- Proper storage is emphasized, recommending suit coat hangers with broad shoulders to maintain the suit’s shape. Using wire coat hangers is discouraged as they can misshape the suit irreversibly.
How to Wear T-Shirt With Suit, Men Fashion
9 Best Suit Colors For Men (Guide)
How to Style a Grey Suit Men
Blue Suit Color Combinations Men
3 Different Types of Suits For Men
Men's Suit Pant Length - Pant Break Guide
Guide to Buying a Made to Measure Suit
How to Match Suits and Shoes, Men
How to Style Green Suit For Men
How to Style Brown Suit Men
How to Pack a Suit in a Suitcase Without Wrinkles
How to Take Care of a Suit (7 Mistakes)