Have you ever accidentally shrunk your favorite clothing item in the wash? Don’t worry, it happens to the best of us! The good news is that in most cases, it’s possible to unshrink clothes and restore them to their original size. Here are 10 tips to help you unshrink clothes:
- Soak the clothing item in lukewarm water: Fill a basin or sink with lukewarm water and add a small amount of hair conditioner. Place the shrunken clothing item in the water and gently swirl it around for a few minutes. Let it soak for about 15 minutes, then gently stretch it back to its original size.
- Use baby shampoo: Mix a tablespoon of baby shampoo with lukewarm water in a basin or sink. Soak the clothing item in the mixture for 30 minutes, then gently stretch it back to its original size.
- Use vinegar: Fill a basin or sink with equal parts of lukewarm water and white vinegar. Soak the clothing item in the mixture for 30 minutes, then gently stretch it back to its original size.
- Stretch the fabric: If the garment is made of stretchy fabric, you can try stretching it out while it’s still damp. Lay it flat on a towel and use your hands to gently stretch it in all directions.
- Use a fabric stretcher: If the garment is made of wool or another natural fiber, you can use a fabric stretcher to stretch it back to its original size. Simply wet the garment, place it on the stretcher, and adjust it to the desired size.
- Iron the garment: Place the shrunken garment on an ironing board and cover it with a damp cloth. Use a steam iron to gently press the cloth and stretch the fabric back to its original size.
- Use a hairdryer: Place the shrunken garment on a flat surface and use a hairdryer on low heat to dry the fabric while gently stretching it back to its original size.
- Use a commercial fabric relaxer: You can purchase fabric relaxers at most craft or fabric stores. Follow the instructions on the bottle to soak the garment and gently stretch it back to its original size.
- Use a stretching spray: You can purchase stretching sprays at most fabric stores. Simply spray the garment with the stretching spray, and gently stretch it back to its original size.
- Take it to a professional: If all else fails, take the garment to a professional tailor or dry cleaner. They may be able to use specialized techniques to unshrink the fabric and restore it to its original size.
Remember, prevention is the best cure. Always check the care label on your clothing items before washing them, and follow the instructions carefully to avoid shrinking them in the first place.