Are you someone who loves investing in beautiful handbags but struggles to store them correctly? Handbags are not just accessories but investments that require proper care and storage to retain their shape, color, and quality.
In this blog post, we will share some helpful tips on how to store your handbags, so they remain in excellent condition for years to come.
From cleaning them before storing to using dust bags, hanging them properly, and avoiding stacking heavy items on top, these tips will help you keep your handbags looking as good as new.
So, let’s dive in and explore the best ways to store your precious handbags!
- Clean the handbag before storing it: Before storing your handbag, make sure to clean it thoroughly. This will help prevent any dirt or stains from setting in and ensure that your handbag looks good as new when you use it again.
- Stuff the handbag: To help your handbag retain its shape, stuff it with tissue paper or bubble wrap. This will help prevent any creases or folds from forming, which can damage the material over time.
- Use a dust bag or pillowcase: Store your handbag in a dust bag or pillowcase to protect it from dust and other particles that can accumulate over time. If you don’t have a dust bag, you can also use an old pillowcase or a soft cloth bag.
- Avoid storing in direct sunlight or heat: Direct sunlight or heat can cause the color of your handbag to fade or the material to dry out and crack. Avoid storing your handbag in areas with direct sunlight or high heat, such as near a window or heater.
- Store in a cool, dry place: A cool, dry place is the best environment for storing handbags. Avoid storing them in areas that are damp or humid, as this can cause mold or mildew to grow.
- Rotate your handbags: If you have a collection of handbags, rotate them every few months. This will help prevent any one handbag from being used too much and wearing out quickly.
- Hang your handbags: You can hang your handbags from a hook or hanger to help them retain their shape. Just make sure to use a padded hanger or wrap the hook in tissue paper or fabric to avoid any scratches or marks.
- Don’t hang leather handbags for long periods: Hanging a leather handbag for long periods can cause the leather to stretch and lose its shape. It’s best to store them flat.
- Avoid stacking heavy items on top of your handbags: Stacking heavy items on top of your handbags can cause them to lose their shape and become misshapen. Instead, store your handbags in a separate area away from heavy items.
- Keep the hardware covered: The hardware on your handbag can scratch or damage the material of the bag. To protect it, cover it with a piece of cloth or tissue paper before storing.
Christie’s handbags specialist offers a six-point guide to maintaining a healthy and happy handbag.