Shrinking clothes can be a useful trick to know, especially if you accidentally bought something in the wrong size or if your favorite item has stretched out over time. Here are ten tips for shrinking clothes:
- Read the Label: Check the label of the garment for specific washing instructions. If the label says “pre-shrunk,” you won’t be able to shrink it much further.
- Wash in Hot Water: The hotter the water, the more likely the garment will shrink. Be aware that certain fabrics, like wool or silk, can’t be washed in hot water.
- Use a Dryer: Place the garment in the dryer on the highest setting. This will expose the clothing to high heat and help it to shrink.
- Wash and Dry Repeatedly: Repeating the washing and drying process can help the garment shrink further. Be aware that this can also cause the fabric to wear out more quickly.
- Consider Hand-Washing: Hand-washing the garment in hot water can help it to shrink. Be sure to agitate the fabric while washing to encourage the fibers to tighten up.
- Use Boiling Water: Boiling water can also be effective for shrinking clothes. Fill a pot with water and bring it to a boil. Then, place the garment in the water for a few minutes, stirring it occasionally.
- Dry the Garment in Sunlight: Drying the garment in direct sunlight can help it to shrink. The heat from the sun can help to tighten up the fibers in the fabric.
- Iron the Garment: Ironing the garment on the highest setting can also help to shrink it. Be sure to keep the iron moving to prevent scorching the fabric.
- Try Fabric Softener: Adding fabric softener to the wash can help to shrink the garment. This is because the softener can tighten up the fibers in the fabric.
- Use a Hot Bath: If you have a garment that is too large, you can try wearing it in a hot bath. The hot water can help to shrink the fabric to your body size.
Remember, shrinking clothes can be a risky process, as it can damage the fabric and change the fit of the garment. Be sure to test a small, inconspicuous area of the fabric first to ensure it can handle the heat and agitation.
Learn how to shrink clothing with tips from a tailor in this video:
Here is another video with some great tips:
How to Dress a Long Torso (7 Tips)
How to Look Expensive (11 Styling Tips & Hacks)
How to Match Shoes With Outfit (3 Key Rules)
How to Style Short Legs (5 Tips)
12 Feminine Fashion Style Tips (Part 2)
How to Look Put Together and Elegant Every Day!
How to Wear Prints and Printed Clothing
How to Find The Right Bra For Your Breast Shape